Tuesday, August 7, 2012

B.M.W.B #32 It Takes A Village

You know the saying 'It takes a village to raise a child'? I have to say I'd be a bit selective about the village members myself but it is a sentiment I want outworked for my children.

On Sunday afternoon while The Atlas was on a special ski trip I went walking the hills with some friends - the day was awful, visibility was low, the wind was cold (but the boys were well dressed mum!!), and the track was narrow, slippery and covered in gorse in places - sound good? It was  until both my boys had moments of being 'a donkey on the edge' or even a donkey over the edge.

At every one of these times and a few others besides there were adults at their sides - mamas and papas - holding their hands, speaking to them kindly, distracting them with stories, offering to carry them on their shoulders.

It is a privilege to The Atlas and I that we have a great collection of 'villagers' around us. People who love their own children. People who treat our children kindly and talk to them with honour and respect.

I want my children to grow up with models of healthy families and with adults, who we like and respect, to relate to them and show interest in them.

As our boys grow and mature I want to have voices speaking words that my boys can hear when our voices get lost in translation. We intentionally want to have these good people in our boys lives (and of course we also get the treat of their friendship too).
We are blessed with a an amazing range of family (related and not) in our lives and I am firmly convinced our boys' lives will be richer for it.

This year I am making more of a conscious effort to have quality moments with my boys. B.M.W.B (becoming the mama I want to be)  is my way of recording and hopefully inspiring other mama’s too. Please inspire me with the little moments you are snatching with your little people OR with ideas I could do with mine. If you have blogged about it please leave a comment so we can all visit and encourage each other.
Simple. Achievable. Intentional: becoming the mama I want to be.

Do you have good people in your kids lives?
To see more of what I have been intentionally doing with my boys click here