Friday, April 13, 2018

Bookish - Stories for Boys Who Dare to be Different

Heya :-)

I was SO excited to discover Stories for Boys Who Dare to be Different by Ben Brooks was coming out. I already have a copy of the Rebel Girls book and I had felt a little sad for my boys that a similar thing didn't exist for boys.



I must say my boys have been very happy reading the girls' one and I like that they are being introduced to strong female characters in their lives (their mother falling into this category!).

One of the things I absolutely love about this book is the wide variety of ethnic groups and geographies and time periods represented. It is SO good for our children to read about all sorts of people whose lives and experiences are different from their own.

The stories are easily read and each one page story has a cool illustration that goes with it. The variety of achievement types is extremely wide too. The book features Taika Waititi - whoop! NZ represent.



I'm such a fan of these kind of books, of introducing children to heroes who don't fit stereotypes and who show them there is so much more to success and to the world than their experiences and point of view. For kiwi boys I think seeing heroes who aren't just sports stars is really important.

Both my boys pounced on this book when it came in the post and they have been reading different stories and showing me ones that have really struck a cord with them.



Details - Hachette NZ, April 2018 RRP $39.99 HB

love you like I love a collection of world changing men who never once picked up a sword or saved a princess xxx